Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Corban




After two years of marriage Blake and I began discussing the idea of getting pregnant. Little did we know that even though we were going to begin trying, GOD was going to put that idea on hold for a much bigger purpose. I was driving out of town when my cell phone rang. There was a female voice on the line saying they had a mother that was pregnant and who wanted to place her unborn child for adoption. I really didn't understand why she was calling me or where she felt that we fit into the picture within this situation. She went on to say that even though we didn't know her, that she had heard Blake and I wanted to eventually adopt one day. One day...one day when we didn't live financially month to month. One day...when we actually had a savings account. One day...after we had given birth to our own children. One day...when there was specifically a brown boy who needed a home. One day...one day. I asked her what the baby was. Black. Male. I kind of got chills a bit and started immediately dreaming in my head. We needed three thousand dollars up front and around twelve thousand dollars total over time. The baby would be born in two weeks. Honestly I'm embarrassed to say that I laughed. I told this voice we would pray, but most likely to start looking for another set of adoptive parents. Blake and I fasted and prayed all weekend. Basically we made ourselves available to GOD. Afterall, if HE wanted to perform a miracle and give us three thousand dollars...we would be obedient to whatever HE was calling us to. Monday came around and we received a call from this woman again. I told her we prayed and were open to it, but that the finances were not in place and so there was no possible way for us to make this happen. There was silence, she laughed and said..."There has already been a three thousand dollar donation made this weekend to a couple needing it for the placement of a child and you are our only couple." I don't think I have ever had chills this big in my life or have I ever cried like that before. We didn't tell a soul we needed money. Just GOD. Two weeks later a precious baby was born...but GOD had a refining process in store for us. This baby was not meant to be ours, but he was meant to be with his mother that gave birth to him. As sad as it was...it was such a sweet time. (I will hopefully blog this story in the future). Blake and I were devastated, but knew GOD had something greater in store. We continued on...somewhat trying to get pregnant when five months later we received a phone call. It was that same voice. She said there was another baby boy on the way and there were no available adoptive parents who could take him. We prayed. I was not excited. I was scared. Yet I knew without even pursuing GOD fully for an answer that this was our baby and GOD was asking us to be obedient again. We were obedient and GOD gave us our Corban when he was only 48 hours old. I am overwhelmed with grattitude toward our great GOD for blessing us with a son who was meant to be our son. I am overwhelmed with grattitude for such an amazing birth mom who carried this precious life for ten months and selflessly did all she could do for him. She could have chosen death, but she chose not only his life, but life even more full for us as a family. Corban is beautiful, smart, witty, rebelious, a little OCD, messy, wild, a warrior, a hard sleeper, a lover, a wrestler and our prayer is that mostly one day he will be a child of GOD. THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS PRECIOUS LIFE!!

1 comment:

Sum said...

We don't know each other very well (but Sarah did take pictures of my boobs at scott's party last weekend without me knowing). So I think that is a great introduction. :) haha

anyways, I loved reading this story and love the suprises God has in store for us!